Please watch this brief TED Talk before we begin our next unit in class.
Why You Should Read A Midsummer Night’s Dream
– Mr. Morris
During your reading break it is important to reflect both on the research you have conducted for your ZIP project, as well as prepare for our presentations, which will occur on January 28th and 29th. In order to do so, please complete a final formal DOL response that answers the following questions, in detailed, paragraph form. Consider including images, links, and other learning evidence from your time in class to add depth to this piece.
1. What is your inquiry question? What initially drew you to this question? Did your question stay the same, or did it change overtime? Why?
2. What skills have you expanded on / learned during the inquiry process? How are these skills applicable to your success as a student?
3. What did you learn about / what is your answer to this inquiry question? Remember to be specific and provide direct evidence from your research.
4. In what ways does your final learning artefact demonstrate your learning / answer to your inquiry question? How does it connect to your chosen curricular competencies? Consider listing your competencies and including images, links, or excerpts from your work to demonstrate this.
5. What resources did you find useful during your inquiry and why were they useful? (Cite at least four resources you consulted, with links, and write a brief 50-100 response as to was important to your learning).
6. What new questions do you have about your inquiry? What motivates you or excites you about these questions?
DUE DATE: January 28th before class.
Hello Grade 11s,
Attached to this post you will find links to the two TED Talks viewed in class today. Please watch / review them in order to answer the following prompt.
Q: What are the benefits of reading a good story?
Based on your notes from today’s TED Talks, which speaker’s argument is more persuasive in answering the above question? Why? Please write a formal paragraph that provides your reasoning with reference to evidence from each clip. Remember PQS and to compare each speaker’s talk.
Andrew Stanton – “The Clues to a Great Story” (19:16)
Lisa Bu – “How Books Can Open Your Mind” (6:16)
Due: Tomorrow in class
“10 Tips for More Concise Writing” by Katherine Firth
Rather than listen to me lecture about the most common issues found in your Earthsea essays and PTI responses, please spend a moment reading over the following article. Consider bookmarking this page and using it as a checklist for your writing going forward.
Consider points 1,2,4,5,9,10 and which one of these concepts you would like to apply to your next piece of formal writing.
As an additional task, I will be asking you to name what your next writing goal is by the end of class today as a ticket out the door, as well as at least one example from your work of why you chose this goal.
– Mr. Morris
Please complete the following Office Form to prepare for your in-class presentation:
PTI Pre-Reading Research CRAP Test
This assignment is due on Monday, November 26th. Please be prepared to share your work with your group members and begin planning your presentation on this date.
BLOG POST — Due Monday, November 26th.
Based on Chapter 1, write a paragraph describing Ursula Le Guin’s writing style. Include three main points and make sure to provide evidence for each of these assertions. Please craft a thesis statement based on one of the questions below:
- What stood out the most about Le Guin’s overall writing style in Chapter 1 of the novel?
- How does Le Guin’s use of literary tools help or hinder the establishment of characters, conflicts, or setting in Chapter 1 of the novel?.
- Overall, how would you describe Le Guin’s style so far? Make an argument and use specific textual evidence to prove your point.
See below for a Google doc for your established Eminent transitions. Great work organizing the class today.
Please complete the following survey at the link below for homework.
Montag’s Wants and Fears
Please read the homework discussed on the following Google Doc. Please choose the best example of your work by Monday, November 5th.
Short Story Blog Posts
Please add an online link to your presentation on the Google Doc below:
Style Advisor Presentations Google Doc